Freelance programmer specialising in developing games on Unity engine.
- Interested in low-level performance optimisation; want to continue learning in this area.
- Frequently collaborate with designers to build useful tools.
- Enjoy assisting others and sharing knowledge.
- Generalist with skills in 3D art and music.
- Currently based in Royal Leamington Spa, UK.
2022 (Upcoming) | iOS, Android | Unity | ustwo games
Starship Troopers - Terran Command
2021 (Upcoming) | PC | Unity | Artistocrats, Slitherine
Scope changes greatly increased the performance requirements on this real-time strategy game, necessitating significant optimisation work. I primarily focused on rewriting and optimising bottleneck systems, using Unity's multithreaded job system and Burst compiler.
- Parallelised target selection, projectile collision, line-of-fire, fog of war and pathfinding systems.
- Implemented Jump Point Search optimisation for units with uniform-cost pathfinding.
- Optimised third-party decal projector plugin.
2020 | PC | Unity | Echo Chamber Games, Curve Digital
- Wrote environmental system to simulate heat transfer, fire propagation and other object properties.
- Optimised integration of fluid simulation plugin.
- Bug fixing and optimisation.
2019 | PC, iOS | Unity | William Chyr Studio
Joined project 2 months before release to assist with bug-fixing and polishing, subsequently took on more performance optimization tasks to support later console releases.
- Wrote occlusion culling system for recursive portal rendering.
- Implemented custom instanced LOD system built on top of BatchRendererGroup API.
- Improved infrastructure for automated performance testing.
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realm War
2018 | iOS, Android | Unity, GameSparks | Pixel Toys
- Overhauled tutorial system.
- Implemented matchmaking system.
- Bug fixing and optimisation.
2017 | PC | Hedgehog Engine | SEGA Hardlight
Briefly assisted on the PC port of this console title.
- Added keyboard & mouse input support to the menu systems.
Unannounced VR Project
Cancelled | Desktop VR | Cathode | SEGA Hardlight
This was a project for desktop VR platforms using Creative Assembly’s in-house game engine. Most documentation was unavailable to us so much code reading was required to decipher the usage of various features and tools.
- Responsible for level scripting.
- Implemented comfort features to alleviate motion sickness.
Kingdom Conquest - Dark Empire
Cancelled | iOS, Android | Node.js, MongoDB, Unity | SEGA Hardlight
A game with a significant of server-based component, workload was divided by gameplay feature so my time was split between developing in Node.js and Unity.
- Built a visual node graph data-binding system enabling artists to implement UI logic across the game's extensive menu systems without programmer assistance.
- Implemented multiple gameplay systems.
Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom
2015 | iOS, Android | Unity | SEGA Hardlight
- Built menu system.
- UI programming.
- Contributed to localisation and tutorial systems.
Crazy Taxi: City Rush
2014 | iOS, Android | Unity | SEGA Hardlight
- Implemented mission scripting system.
- Took ownership of tutorial and UI systems.
- Worked on plugin integrations for Android platform.
2009 - 2013
Computer Science MEng (2:1)
Band Society President 2012/13
Band Society Webmaster 2011/12
2007 - 2009
A Level Mathematics (A)
A Level Physics (A)
A Level Computing (A)
AS Further Mathematics (A)